For more than 20 years, the green plains of Holderness, East Yorkshire, were the secret location of underground bunker RAF Holmpton, where radars watched the skies amid the threat of the Cold War.
During the uncertain years of the Cold War, when nations prepared for the prospect of a devastating nuclear war, Britain created a defensive radar programme called Rotor, involving 70 radar stations dotted around the coast.
One of these was an underground bunker in the tiny village of Holmpton, built in 1953 and nicknamed “the hole”.
It faced east and was able to see hundreds of miles to the Soviet Union, as the superpower stockpiled nuclear weapons.
Read more at BBC